Pukhavichi are known since the beginning
of the 11th century. This time, it was a small settlement in Polatsk
Duchy and later in Minsk duchy. From the 14th century Pukhavichi were in
the squad of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania.
Jews lived in Pukhovichi since the
third qauter of the 16th century. The second part of the 17th and the
beginning of the 18th century were awful for Pukhavichi and Belarus. During
the war between Moscow of tsar Alexey Mikhailovich and Rech Pospolitaya
(a union of Polish kingdom and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania) Pukhavichi
and its jewry suffered great of the tsar`s anti-jewish policy. In 1700
another war began. It was a long bloody battle of Russia of Peter
the Great and Rech Paspalitaya of August II against Sweden Karl IX. In 1793 Russian troops occupied Pukhavichi.
It became a part of Igumen uezd in Minsk gubernia. At the end of
18th - the beginning of 19th Pukhavichi was a possession of Sulistrouski
family, later of Fribes and Estkam families and after this - of Valkovich
family. 746 jews lived in Pukhavichi in 1847.
The results of the famous Russian census of 1897 for Pukhovichi were
- 1910 inhabitants - 1.761 - jews. According to famous russian geographer,
author of "Rossija. Polnoe geographicheskoe opisanie nashego Otechestva"
("Russia. Full geographical description of our Motherland)
V.P. Semionov in the beginning of the 20th century Pukhavichi was
a small town (Belarussian - Miastechka, Yiddish - shtetl) near the river
Svislach. Pukhavichi had an orthodox church (was built in 1841) in the
place of former uniat church, a school, three synagogues and a lot
of shops. The majority of miastechka population were jews. Their main occupation
was a small trade. Pukhavichi had four fairs per year (on the
2nd of February, on the 9th of May, the 6th of December and 10 days
after the date of Orthodox Easter). 1905-07 was a period of the first Russian
revolution. Pukhavichi jews took an active part in revolutionary movement.
The situation in shtetl wasn`t so good for Russian authorities. According
to the special command of Minsk governer troops from Minsk were moved
in Pukhavichi. After World War I, February and Bolshevik
revolution Polish troops from October, 1919, till April, 1920, occupied
Pukhavichi. According to the Riga treaty between Poland and Soviet Russia
of Mnarch, 1921, Pukhavichi was on the Soviet - control terrtitory. On
the 17th of July, 1924 the goverment of Belarussian Soviet Socialist republic
created a Pukhavichi region with the center in Pukhavichi. On the 22nd of June, 1941, Nazi Germany
invaded Soviet Union. Several days after the German occupation the germans
shooted Pukhavichi region jewry on Papova mountain in Blon`. Jewish
history of Pukhavichi ended.