The first mention of Porozowo (in Belarussian
- Porozowa) in the written sources is the end of XVI of century.
This time, it was a royal little town (in Belarussian - miastechka,
in Yiddish - shtetl) in Volkovysk (Vaukavysk) povet of Novogrudok (Navagrudak)
voevodstvo, part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania.
In 1518 polish king and lithuanian duke Sigizmund I (Zhigimont Stary) gave Porozowo a privilege for the Magdebourg law (self-management).
Jews lived in Volkovysk povet since the second part of XVI century. This time, all jews from this povet (including, Porozowo) were under the jurisdiction of Volkovysk kagal (jewish community).
A real tragedy for Volkovysk povet were the wars between Rech Pospolitaya (Paspalitaya) - (a union of Polish Kingdom and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, formed in 1569) and Sweden. In 1656 Porozowo was devastated by the Swedish army of Karl X. The similar situation was during the Northern (Paunochnaya) war of Russia and Rech Pospolitaya with Sweden.
The great fire took place in Porozowo in 1767. 28 years later Russian army occupied Porozowo. The shtetl became a center of volost` in Volkovysk povet of Grodno gubernia.
In 1812 France began a war with Russia. French army occupied Porozowa. Local jews gave their strong support to the Russians.
Porozowo Jewry (as all russian jews) suffered of the the discrimination measures of tzarist regim.
In 1847 Porozowo had 379 jewish inhabitants.
In 1870 in family of kantor Chalpern was born girl Ester Rachel. She became a great artist in the Warsaw Jewish theater. Ester Rachel Kaminskaya (her husband was famous artist Avraham Itschak Kaminsky ) was known "as a mother of the Jewish theatre "
1545 people (840 men and 705 women) lived in Porozowo in 1887. 556 of them were jewish. The main occupations of local jews were small trade, handicraft (tailors, shoemakers, carpenters and so on). Porozowo had an orthodox and a catholic church, a synagogue.
Famous Russian census of 1897 gave the next results for Porozowo: 2.028 inhabitants ( 931 Jews). In 1897 shtetl had several factories.
Grodno gubernia had a real great jewish life in the end of XIX century. There were 4 state Jewish schools, 5 Talmud-Torah and 537 kheyders, a lot of great Yeshivas.
Jewish handicraftsmen constituted 61, 32 % of all handicraftsmen of Grodno gubernia in 1897 and 61, 04 (1898). The main jewish occupations were handicraft (first of all, manufacturing of clothes) and small trade.
During the WWI (began in 1914) German troops occupied Porozowo in 1915. In 1919 german occupation was replaced by polish. In the summer 1920 Red Army seized Porozowo.
On the 18th of March,1921 Soviet Russia and Poland signed a peace treaty in Riga. According to it Porozowo became a part of Poland (in Volkovysk povet of Belostok (Bialastok) voevodstvo). On the 18th of September, 1939, Red army occupied Porozowa. It became a part of Belarussian Soviet Socialist republic and the Soviet Union( the center of the region in the Brest area).
In June, 1941, the Nazis occupied Porozowo. They destroyed jewish community. On the 15th of July, 1944, Porozowo was liberated by the Red Army. Jewish life ended.
Nowadays, Porozowo is a small settlement in the Svisloch region of Grodno area, without good life conditions, without jewish life.